GIFT GUIDE: Make it a Bruce Springsteen Father's Day
Bruce Springsteen is many things, among them a great dad. After the lessons he learned growing up with his own troubled father, chronicled in his memoir "Born to Run," he seems to have made it a priority to be present in his children's lives. (Be it at Boston College, equestrian events or firefighter swearing-ins.)
We're sure Bruce will be well taken care of this Father's Day, but what about your own pop? (Or you, if you're prone to treat yourself on your special day?) Here are some Springsteen suggestions, including one near and dear to yours truly.
1) "Glory Days: Springsteen's Greatest Albums" The Blogness book analyzing 10 of Springsteen’s most enduring albums, and then crowning one of them his finest work, was released in paperback for the first time in 2019. It's short (72 pages), so no worries if Dad doesn't have a lot of time to read, and it's cheap ($5.99) because Dad knows you're not made of money. New to the paperback edition is a section collecting some of the most popular Blogness posts of recent years, including the almost-classic "An Open Letter to Miley Cyrus from Bruce Springsteen." So there's that. Order on Amazon.
2) Set Lusting Bruce merch. You've probably heard Jesse Jackson's great Springsteen podcast, but did you know you could get shirts, mugs, magnets and face masks to go along with it? Designs are fantastic, and proceeds will go toward helping Jesse through a recent health crisis that will see him out of work for a few months. No doubt your dad would like to help out and get some fine swag in the process. Order on Etsy.
3) "For You: Original Stories and Photographs by Bruce Springsteen's Legendary Fans." We've been plugging Lawrence Kirsch's fantastic collection for years, and celebrated when he reissued the long out-of-print volume last year. Now there are fewer than 100 copies left, and it's an absolutely must-have for Dad if he's a true fan. (Or for yourself!) Better order fast if you want it in time for Father's Day, or before they run out. Order on Lawrence's site.
4) Springsteen street signs. People are always asking me where I got these -- believe it or not, I made them myself at SignsOnTheCheap.com! There's no shortage of Springsteen streets, roads and lanes, so these would be perfect for Dad's man cave. Order at Signs on the Cheap.
5) Springsteen Father's Day Card. What's Father's Day without a card, and what could be better than a Boss card? (Frankly, you could spend all day perusing [probably unlicensed] Springsteen-related gifts on Etsy.) A perfect add-on for Dad's special day. Order on Etsy.
And don't forget about our other recent book recommendations for the literary-minded dads out there -- as long as you get "Glory Days" first!